CONTACTLESS IDENTIFICATION OF VEHICLES
In European Union countries, the capabilities of intelligent transport systems including the technology of contactless identification of vehicles are widely used. This technology enables to collect information about traffic volume and traffic flow composition quickly, objectively and reliably, and subsequently used for road construction works planning.
The issues of interest are:
Is there a need in the introduction of such systems in Ukraine?
What are the principles of their functioning?
What equipment is used for vehicles dentification in the world?
What is the investments payback period?
What regulatory framework should be implemented in Ukraine for the introduction of contactless vehicles identification?
“DerzhdorNDI” SE experts have sought for answers to these and other questions. During the study the following was acheieved:
• feasibility of introducing the technology of contactless vehicles identification in Ukraine is substantiated;
• RFID –marking identified as the most effective system for Ukrainian realities
The advantages of such system are:
- low start-up costs for the purchase and installation of equipment
- low annual maintenance costs
- payback period of approximately 2 years
- the priority and main stages of implementation of the certain identification system are established;
- detailed suggestions for improving the regulatory framework for introduction of RFID-marking system presented.
Introduction of the contactless vehicles identification system will allow receiving relevant, accurate and impartial information in the context of following:
• traffic volume;
• traffic flow composition;
• time interval;
• road situation.
The operation of such a system will also help to ensure 24/7 road safety.