WILD LIFE CROSSINGS
In the context of international conferences (TRA 2018, WRC 2019, IWEG 2019, BAUMA 2019) which were attended by “DerzhdorNDI” SE specialists, the issue of safe wild life crossings for animals (especially large wild animals) across the roads had been raised repeatedly. This problem is solved in the world in different ways, but mostly – by wild life crossings that are specially built. Taking into account a real state of roads in Ukraine, many people find this a minor problem for some reason.
However, the specialists of Ecology and Subgrade Department of “DerzhdorNDI” SE are actively working in this direction and have already prepared practical recommendations for designing of wild life crossings in the natural conditions of Ukraine. For preparing of such recommendations:
• foreign experience in designing and arranging of wild life crossings was studied;
• the data on traffic accidents involving animals over the last five years on the roads of Ukraine had been analyzed;
• An interactive map of black spots involving animals was created.
According to the results of work, detailed proposals for designers were provided regarding:
• obligatory consideration of possible migration routes for animals by certain parameters;
• maximal conservation of the natural landscape;
• minimizing of negative impact of the road on the animals habitat;
• structural dimensions for arrangement of wild life crossings both, overground and underground types.
We consider that this direction of research is prospective in the Ukrainian realities as well, since the objects of overhaul, reconstruction and new construction have to involve modern and effective project solutions. Therefore, we are starting work over development of the national standard of requirements for design of wild life crossings on public roads.