NEW STANDARD OF ROAD MARKING
Specialists of “DerzhdorNDI” SE Traffic Safety Department have completed the development of DSTU 2587: 20ХХ "Traffic safety. Road marking. General technical requirements", the final version of which has been submitted to the national standardization body for adoption in due course.
This standard was developed in place of the current DSTU 2587: 2010 to update the requirements for the use of road marking in the light of best international practices and the "Convention on Road Signs and Signals".
This standard provides:
• terminological compatibility with other regulatory acts and regulatory documents;
• the main indicators and quality characteristics of horizontal road marking, as well as the color of temporary horizontal marking aligned in accordance with the requirements of EN 1436;
• the width of marking 1.15 “Designation of the zone where the roadway is intersected by the cycling lane” has been aligned with the requirements of “Road Signs and Signals” Convention;
• new types of road marking had been introduced which warns of approaching to pedestrian crosswalk, roundabout traffic junction, indicates taxi, tram, electric vehicle recharging, pedestrian and bicycle lanes, lanes for the route vehicles and cyclists; the marking 1.18 is supplemented with the arrows indicating the lanes for vehicles turning;
• the conditions of application of marking 1.10.2 "Marking of forbidden vehicles parking places" and marking 1.22 "Marking of approaching to speed calming devices" had been extended in accordance with the national standard on general requirements to speed calming devices;
• Detailed arrangements for marking 1.30 "Designation of parking places for individual vehicles of persons with disabilities";
• the required marking area is determined;
• the schemes and examples of marking application are provided.
The implementation of this standard will help to reduce the number of traffic accidents and their casualties on public roads, streets and roads of settlements by improving the traffic arrangement and the road marking quality, in particular, its visibility.